Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Discovering the Root Of Our Problem

Root Problem - Renewing the Mind

God's Word Reveals the Root of Our Problems


Romans 1:25 For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshipped and served the creature rather than the Creator.

Scripture gives us God's viewpoint of life; therefore, we need to:

  • Learn to address life's problems and issues from God's Word
  • Recognize that the bible addresses not only our behaviors but also our thoughts and beliefs
  • from Scripture, develop correct ideas about God, self, life, and others
  • learn to think as God thinks.
A lie believed as truth will affect your life as if it were true - even though it is a lie.
A belief that... please check what is true
  • Money provides security and happiness ____  results in workaholism, materialism, greed, dishonesty, and stealing.
  • To be happy, I must be married ____ results in unrealistic expectations of spouse or friend, unhappiness being single, discontentment with spouse, and divorce if unhappy.
  • I am the way I am; I can't change ____ results in feelings of shame, guilt, hopelessness, inferiority, passivity, and loss of creativity.
  • Failure deserves to be punished ____ results in criticalness, judgementalism, self-destructive behavior, fear of failure, procrastination, unwillingness to take risks, and fear of punishment.
  • The more I do for God, the more He will love and bless me ____ results in legalistic religious activity, serving God to earn his acceptance, spiritual burnout, feeling unacceptable to God, self-righteousness, and spiritual pride.
  • My worth is determined by what I do and what others think of me ____ results in being driven to succeed, being a competitive high achiever, comparing myself with others, and pride - feeling unworthy.
Do you see some patterns in your behavior from wrong beliefs contradicting God?
God created us as believing beings.  A belief is an assumption we hold to be true.  We get these beliefs in what we perceive as truth. The lies the enemy (Satan) told us what others have said (parents, family, school, and peers) all have influenced what we believe.  Then, develop fundamental life beliefs about:
  •  who we are
  • whom we can trust
  • what is good or bad
  • what we are worth
  • what our purpose in life is, and
  • what God is like
What we believe causes us to process certain information and block other details.  Like a filter, our beliefs cause us to not see the truth and cause a person to go into reaction instead of action. 

 Not only this, it also affects our relationship with the Lord, especially how your earthly father treated you. 

Questions:

  1. What problem(s) do you want God to change or resolve in your life? 
  2. How is this problem affecting you emotionally?

Examples of common negative thoughts might be based on a Spirit of fear. 
Symptoms of fear
  • Fear about the quality of your performance or of problems that may interfere with it;
  • Worry about how the audience or the press may react to you;
  • Worries about how you appear to others, for example, important people - fear of man;
  • A preoccupation with the symptoms of stress;
  • Dwelling on the negative consequences of poor performance;
  • Self-criticism over less-than-perfect rehearsal and practice or
  • Feelings of inadequacy.


List of Negative Thoughts: Check to see if any apply to you.  Consider who made you feel this way why you think this way, and find scriptures to counteract these negative thoughts. 

1. I feel like I’m up against the world ____
2. I’m no good ____
3. What can’t I ever succeed? ____
4. No one understands me ____
5. I’ve let people down ____
6. I don’t think I can go on ____
7. I wish I were a better person ____
8. I’m so weak ____
9. My life’s not going the way I want it to ____
10. I’m so disappointed in myself ____
11. Nothing feels good anymore ____
12. I can’t stand this anymore ____
13. I can’t get started ____
14. What’s wrong with me? ____
15. I wish I were somewhere else ____
16. I can’t get things together ____
17. I hate myself ____
18. I’m worthless ____
19. I wish I could just disappear ____
20. What’s the matter with me? ____
21. I’m a loser ____
22. My life is a mess _____.
23. I’m a failure _____
24. I’ll never make it ____
25. I feel so helpless ____
26. Something has to change ____
27. There must be something wrong with me ____
28. My future is bleak ____
29. It’s just not worth it ____
30. I can’t finish anything ___

God's love for you scriptures:

John 3:16

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.

1 John 4:9-12

By this, the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to propitiate our sins. Beloved, if God loved us, we should also love one another. No one has beheld God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us.

John 13:34-35


"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Romans 5:8

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us
 
Romans 8:37-39


But in all these things, we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Galatians 2:20


"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered Himself up for me.

Psalm 37:28


For the LORD loves justice, And does not forsake His godly ones; They are preserved forever; But the descendants of the wicked will be cut off.

Proverbs 8:17

"I love those who love me; And those who diligently seek me will find me.

Deuteronomy 7:9

"Know therefore that the LORD your God, He is God, the faithful God, who keeps His covenant and His lovingkindness to a thousandth generation with those who love Him and keep His commandments;


1 John 3:1

See how great a love the Father has bestowed upon us, that we should be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.

By Coach Teresa Morin - Anxious2Victorious Women 12-week program, or

Touch of God International Ministries - a Christian Healing and Deliverance Ministry - Setting the Captives Free from curses


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.